In the tragic aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, the Phoenix Mercury and Houston-native Brittney Griner have teamed up to raise money for Griner’s hometown by hosting ‘Sunday is for Houston’ at the team’s regular season finale this Sunday, Sept. 3, at 1 p.m. at Talking Stick Resort Arena. All proceeds raised will go directly to hurricane relief efforts in the greater Houston area.
“The City of Phoenix and the fans have opened their arms to me and made this feel like home, and now I’m asking that they help me help my hometown and those who have lost everything,” Griner said. “This is personal for me, like it is for so many others, and I want to do whatever I can to help give something back. Please help us this Sunday.”
All pillar fundraising opportunities will be open to fan participation. They include:
1) The Mercury has committed to donate $1 for every ticket sold to Sunday’s game. Phoenix has averaged 9,822 fans per game this season, and has drawn more than 10,000 in four of its last five home games.
2) Griner and the Mercury will host “BG’s Breakfast for Houston” at 10 a.m. at the arena before the game. The event will offer exclusive access to Griner and the $100/person admission fees will be donated. Space is extremely limited.
3) The Mercury has created a “Our Hearts Are With Houston” t-shirt that will be sold exclusively at Team Shop locations in the arena. For each t-shirt sold, $2 will be donated. T-shirt image attached.
4) The Mercury will accept cash donations in the Casino Arizona Pavilion before the game. All fans who donate will be entered to win a one-of-a-kind, Mercury-themed, hand-painted wood carving autographed by the entire 2017 team.
5) Griner and her teammates will host a live auction on the main court following the game. All items will be personally donated by the players and will include game-worn gear, autographed merchandise, experiences, and more. The auction will be open to all fans.
Griner will be available to speak to media at the conclusion of today’s practice (approximately 2 p.m. Phoenix time).
Griner herself has committed to donating one of her most prized mementos—one of her game-worn shoes from the 2016 Olympics in Rio, her first, signed by all of her teammates on the USA Women’s National Team. The Mercury is also sending a care package of t-shirts and shoes, as requested on Twitter by University of Houston Head Coach Kelvin Sampson.
USE PROMO CODE: HOUSTON